Invoices are a critical element in monitoring your food cost. Invoices automatically update prices on current inventory counts and recipes.
Locating the Invoice Icon
After a Vendor is added to the Vendor list and a Vendor Item for that Vendor has been added, it is time to create an Invoice. Select the pink Invoice icon (or select from the main menu: Food Cost > Invoices). This will load the Invoices screen.
*You need a physical invoice in hand.
Adding a New Invoice
Basic Invoice Information
- Select the Date of the invoice. (The time is irrelevant and is not required to enter.)
- Enter the Invoice Reference number.
- Enter the Invoice Total. \LThe Check # field is optional and does not require an entry. However, if you wish to record the check number used to pay for the invoice, you may enter it here.)
- You also have the option of narrowing your vendor item list within the invoice using the drop down here. Choose to list all vendor items or only those ordered in the last 3 months, 6 months, or one year.
Keying in Quantities and Prices
- Enter the Quantity received for each item.
- If necessary, edit the Price foe each item. Prices are saved from previous invoices, but they can be edited at any time.
- After keying in quantities and prices, a total will appear at the bottom right. In this example, the line item total is in red. It's red because it does not match the invoice total amount at the top (circled in yellow). Since the invoice total and line items total do not match, the Save and Close button at the bottom of the screen is greyed out, preventing you from saving the invoice. The price difference is likely due to an error in keying in the quantities or prices for the vendor items.
- Upon correcting any discrepancies responsible for the unmatching totals, your totals will match. When the line items total and the invoice total amount match, they both appear in black.
- Notice that when the totals match, the Save and Close button is available. To save your new invoice, click on the Save and Close button.
Adding a New Vendor Item
In the event that an item you purchased from the vendor is listed on the actual paper invoice but not within the New Invoice window in QSROnline, you will need to add the new vendor item to QSROnline.
To add a new vendor item:
1. Click on the New Vendor Item button.
2. Key in the following information within the New Vendor Item window:
- Vendor Item Reference: the unique reference number assigned to each vendor item by the vendor.
- Unit of Measure: the primary unit of measure used by the vendor for pricing purposes.
- Description: the name or description of the item.
- The Pack and Size fields are optional and do not require an entry. However, if you wish to further detail your food cost, you may enter quantities within this field as you see fit. For example, let's say that in this scenario the new vendor item is BLACKBERRIES, and the Unit of Measure is Case (CS). Within each CS of BLACKBERRIES, there may be 6 Packs, each weighing in at 1LB. Therefore, you would enter "6" within the Pack field and "1 LB" within the Size field. When you purchase BLACKBERRIES, you are charged per CS, and within each case, there are 6, 1 LB Packs.
3. After keying in all required information, click the OK button to add your new vendor item to the vendor item list within the invoice.
At the bottom of the new invoice window, you will see the following additional features:
- A comments box: You may write any relevant comments within this field, including notes, adjustments, logs, returns, missing items, etc.
- The Attach button: To attach a copy of the actual paper invoice to this digital version, select the Attach button to upload a copy of the paper invoice.
- Other additional features include:
- Export Invoice button: Use this feature to export the invoice into a spreadsheet for your own records. This feature is commonly used by the accounting department.
- Print Invoice button: Click this button to print the selected invoice.
- New Vendor Item button: If an item that you purchased from the vendor is not listed within the new invoice window in QSROnline, you will use this button to add the new vendor item to QSROnline.
- View Summary button: This feature shows a quick summary of the selected invoice.
- Vice Price Changes button: Use this feature to monitor vendor item price changes.
Watch a Video
Searching for an Invoice
You can search for previously entered invoices multiple ways within QSROnline.
Browse Invoices tab
Using this search method, you can search invoices by date, vendor, and/or reference number. If you do not know the reference number of the invoice in question, this search method will be most useful to you, since you can search by date rather than just reference number.
1. Select the Browse Invoices tab.
2. Select the unit and vendor that you're wishing to search invoices for.
3. By default, QSROnline displays the invoices from the last 14 days. Using the drop-down arrow, search for invoices by predetermined dates or custom date ranges.
Search Invoices tab
This method for searching invoices only works if you have the invoice's reference number on hand. If you do have the invoice's reference number, this method is the quickest way to track down an invoice.
1. Select the Search Invoices tab.
2. Key in the invoice's reference number that you're searching for, and press the Search button. The invoice will then appear, highlighted in red. To open the invoice, either double click on the invoice or press the Open Invoice button.